The temple management at Ganga ji Temple, Jaipur do not allow photography inside the temple premises.
Currently, Ganga ji temple is not a very popular temple in Jaipur.
I was informed by the priest of the temple that there are two Ganga Mata temples in Jaipur. This one is located just behind the famous Govind devji temple and is the oldest amongst the two. It is being maintained by the Devesthan Dept under Govt of Rajasthan.
History Ganga ji Temple, Jaipur:
Ganga ji Temple, Jaipur was constructed in 1914 by the then Maharajah of Jaipur, Sawai Madho Singh ji II.
It is believed that the idol placed in the gribhagriha of the Ganga Mata temple, was worshiped by one of the queens of Maharajah prior to the construction of the temple.
The rulers of Jaipur always considered themselves as the descendants of Lord Ram, through his son Kush. Therefore, they were called kushwaha or kachhawa rajputs. Therefore Ganga river was considered as divine & sacred. It is an established fact that Maharajah Sawai Madho Singh II used to drink only Ganga Jal ( water of the river Ganga). He would often visit Haridwar, which is situated on the banks of river Ganga, as it would calm his mind. Such was his love and devotion for the river Ganga.
Maharajah Sawai Madho Singh II’s travel to England in 1902 to attend the coronation ceremony of King Edward VII is quite famous as he was the first Jaipur ruler to travel abroad. In those times, journey beyond country’s boundary was a big taboo for the pious & devout Hindus due to the strict religious & moral restrictions imposed by the society and religious leaders. To overcome this problem, He carried two huge silver vessels each containing 4000 liters of Ganga jal to ensure his adherence to the strict religious norms. These silver vessels are on display in the city palace, even today. Ganga Jal enabled the Maharajah to undertake the travel to England to attend coronation ceremony of King Edward VII, who had visited Jaipur in February 1876.
About the temple:
The temple is connected with another temple – Radha Gopal ji temple via a covered gallery. On the left side is Ganga ji temple and on right is Radha Gopal ji temple.
There is an open courtyard in the temple just after the entrance. The marble pillars feature carving and artistic workmanship.
The temple is constructed in a very simple style & is quite small. Marble has been predominantly used in the construction of this temple.
Two beautifully carved small pots made out of white marble resembling the City Palace Jaipur have been placed on either sides of the courtyard . These are used to house the sacred Tulsi plant, which has an immense importance in the Hindu religion. These two pots are the most attractive elements in this temple complex, which otherwise is quite basic from the architectural point of view.
How to reach: Temple is located just behind the Govind devji temple. You can use following map (marked in red circle) for the precise location.
Timing: The temple timing are same as that of Govind Devji Temple. You can check the current Darshan timings on