Jaipur Kite Festival is held every year on 14th January on Makar Sakranti.
This year the Kite Festival was held at Jal Mahal, Jaipur. Earlier, it used to be held at Chaugan stadium, Jaipur. Jal Mahal is much more accessible location as compared to Chaugan Stadium. Also, its on the tourist map; located on the road leading to Amer/ Nahargarh.
Kite Festival is organized by RTDC- Rajasthan Tourism Development Corporation.
Here are few images from the festival.
Observation & opinion:
- The festival was organized in a very small & secluded area. It didn’t give a feel of festival, at all… specially the kite festival! There were some kites… holed up in one of the booths…
- The center stage was occupied by the folk performance and dance. The Tourism department have probably got it all jumbled up!!! This is supposed to be a kite fest!! Agreed, the tourist would be interested in folk dance but this is supposed to be a Kite Festival…
- There were very few foreign tourists…A large number of people gathered at the venue were from media and tourism department. Where are the tourist?
- The one held in Chaugan Stadium was much more grand in scale & space…spread over in huge area. There were lot more activities for the tourist. And more local people too! Kite festival at Jal Mahal excluded locals. If it’s a local festival, it must have participation of locals too… providing tourists an opportunity to interact and experience it in authentic way!!
- Locals were barred from entering the premises, probably the authorities must be having some good reasons for it, I’m not questioning that! In fact, many Indian tourists were not allowed to enter the festival area!!
The overall impression of Kite festival was that it was everything except kite festival…It’s time that Tourism department get things going in the right direction! Now that “Jaane kya Dikh Jaaye” advertisement campaign of Rajasthan Tourism is underway, promoting tourism in Rajasthan!!